Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day 2012

I am not one to take things for granted. Not opportunities, not "stuff", and especially not PEOPLE. I have never wished time away...I am perfectly content to experience each phase of my life as it comes. Having lost loved ones in the past, I am acutely aware of just how short life is...people are irreplaceable and every day is a gift. Thus, I make a daily effort to appreciate and enjoy my family and friends.
This morning while I sat with Eli asleep in my arms drinking my coffee, I had one of those moments where time seemed to stand still. I am absolutely blessed beyond measure. While it would be nice to be able to keep our house spotless and work on crafty projects during my time at home with Eli, it is only essential that I care for and love on our sweet boy. I have been frustrated by my inability to cross every item off of my to-do lists. However, he will not be small for long...someday he will be taller than me. I am grateful to have these days at home with him. It is bittersweet to watch him grow...I'm loving every minute of it.
So this morning, as I found myself tempted to lay him down in the bassinet and get started on my chores, I took a step back and decided to simply enjoy the moment. I cuddled him while he slept, I watched his face move with his dreams, and I let the hours slip away from me. It was bliss.
If the paci falls out of his mouth...he is conked!
Today was also a special day because Eli is now seven weeks old! Next time we see Feb. 29th, he will be four YEARS old!! How bizarre is that?! Mom came to spend the morning with us and we were both spoiled by her presence. We talked, laughed, watched Eli, and made the effort to quietly share our time (not easy for my Mom who hardly ever sits still, haha). Her presence allowed me to be productive and cross at least one item off of my list for the day and still have Eli feel loved and important. It was marvelous.
Mom ("Nannie B.") is so fun...she made that wooden man dance!!
(Eli is absolutely enamored with her...can you tell?)
Tonight Blake and I have continued the trend and are simply enjoying our family time. We even changed our dinner plans so that we wouldn't lose any time to the cooking/cleaning process. Watching my husband love on our baby is worth every second of my chores not being done. Promise. :)
P.S. Mommy, don't worry I'm folding laundry while we sit and relax.

No comments: